by Lilit Marcus at Rack
The Design Museum in London is planning a Christian Louboutin exhibit to open in March. Grazia got some advance info about the exhibit and how it’s going to be organized, and after reading it we’re already saving our pennies for airfare. Here are a few of the juiciest tidbits:
1. While there’s going to be plenty of shoe porn, the exhibit will also focus on the process of making the shoe, from concept to final product. After all, this is a design museum we’re talking about.
2. The exhibit will also give insight into the design of Louboutin stores. Again, design museum. This is a great way to examine Louboutin’s design aesthetic outside of just footwear.
3. We’ll see Louboutin before he was Louboutin. Before branching out on his own, Louboutin worked for labels like YSL and Chanel, and he also did costume design for theaters. That will be reflected in the exhibit as well, since they’re covering the overall scope of his career.
4. The shoes will be grouped by concept. Some of those concepts include Travel and Fantasy/Fairytale.
5. The exhibit will also highlight some of the collabs Louboutin has done, including “images shot by David Lynch of a number of one-off designs fashioned by Louboutin.”